How to Cook Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
This is a basic recipe for cooking chickpeas and making bean water a.k.a. aquafaba (a vegan replacement for egg whites).
Yield: 1 cup chickpea flour, 2-3 cups cooked chickpeas, 2-3 cups chickpea water
- 2 cups dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Put 1 cup dried chickpeas in a high speed blender or food processor and process until finely ground.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer, and use in recipes with chickpea flour.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl with the water and baking soda. Stir to distribute the baking soda in the water.
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 6 hours.
Cook and Store
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas to a saucepan with 6 cups of water.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then simmer for 1 hour.
- Pour the chickpeas and the chickpea water into a glass container with an airtight lid.
- Let cool and refrigerate the chickpeas and the chickpea water together for at least 6 hours.
- Store the chickpeas and chickpea water in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and use within 7 days. Alternatively, store them in the freezer and use within 3 months.
- Filter the chickpeas and chickpea water through a fine mesh sieve.
- Use ¼ cup (60 mL) of the filtered chickpea water to replace 1 egg white.
- Make your favorite hummus, falafel, and other chickpea goodies with the leftover chickpeas.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.