Homemade Jam and Jelly
This is a basic recipe for making homemade jam using frozen fruit. You have the option of making a chunky jam or a smooth jam. The smooth jam only requires two additional steps.
Yield: 1 cup homemade jam/jelly
- 4 cups fresh or frozen fruit
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup cane sugar
For Frozen – 6 Hour Advance
- Place the frozen fruit into the refrigerator and let them thaw for 6 hours or overnight.
- Wash the fresh fruit.
- Peel, pit and/or trim if necessary, depending on the type of produce.
- Chop the fruit into pieces.
Homemade Jam (Chunky)
- Cook the fruit and lemon juice over high heat.
- Once the fruit has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the fruit has become soft, add the sugar. Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes, mashing the fruit with the back of a spoon.
- Remove the jam from heat when it has reached your desired consistency, and let the jam cool.
- Use immediately or store your homemade jam in an airtight container for up to 1 month in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Homemade Jelly (Smooth)
- Puree the fruit in a blender.
- Filter the fruit puree through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the leftover seeds and skins.
- Follow the directions for homemade jam using the filtered fruit puree.
- Use immediately or store your homemade jelly in an airtight container for up to 1 month in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.