Homemade Natural Food Coloring with Red/Purple Cabbage
This is an easy recipe for making homemade natural food coloring using red/purple cabbage. Depending on the pH of the liquid, the dye can range from red to purple to blue to green. Use the natural food coloring in place of liquid in a recipe.
Yield: 1 natural blue food coloring
- ½ head of red/purple cabbage – cut in half lengthwise
- 6 cups water
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Slice the half head of cabbage into pieces crosswise. Put the pieces into a colander and wash under cold water.
- Place the washed cabbage pieces into the boiled water and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the cabbage with a strainer. Simmer to concentrate the solution for another 30 minutes.
- Let the cabbage food coloring cool before use.
- Use immediately or store by freezing in an ice cube tray.
- Make the food coloring red by adding an acidic ingredient like lemon juice. Add a few drops at a time.
- Make the food coloring blue by adding an alkaline ingredient like baking soda. Add a pinch at a time. Adding too much will result in a green color.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.