How to Make Fruit Puree and Vegetable Puree
This is a basic recipe for making puree from fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables.
Yield: About 1 cup puree
- 2 cups fruits and/or vegetables
- 3 tsp vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ cup filtered water (optional, add more or less as needed)
For Frozen – 6 Hour Advance
- Place the frozen fruit and/or vegetables into the refrigerator and let them thaw for 6 hours or overnight.
- Wash fresh fruit and/or vegetables.
- Peel, pit and/or trim if necessary, depending on the type of produce.
- Chop the fruit into pieces for easier processing.
- Place the fruit and/or vegetables into a saucepan, and cover slightly with water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool slightly before pureeing.
- Puree the fruit and/or vegetables in a high speed blender or food processor, adding water if necessary until it reaches desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice to help preserve color of puree.
- Filter the puree through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the skin and seeds.
- Store the fruit/vegetable puree in airtight containers in the refrigerator and use within 2 days.
- Transfer the fruit/vegetable puree into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Remove the frozen puree from the tray and store in airtight containers or resealable freezer bags.